Research and consulting in Côte d’Ivoire
IOA has amassed data and experience on Côte d’Ivoire through years of economic, political and social research and by performing consulting projects on the country. Our researchers have determined that Côte d’Ivoire, thanks in part to being the world’s leading cocoa and cashew producer, is experiencing one of the fastest sustained economic growth rates in Sub-Saharan Africa in nearly a decade. Real GDP growth averaged over 8% between 2012 and 2019, and then Côte d’Ivoire mitigated the dilatory effects of the COVID-19 pandemic to maintained positive growth in 2020 and 2021. Post-pandemic, the economy is accelerating.
IOA business analysts have seen beyond cocoa and cashews to the robust growth prospects in the country’s ICT sector, as services augment and may eventually surpass the value of raw commodities exports.
Key opportunities in Côte d’Ivoire:
- As the world’s leading exporter of cocoa and cashews, these established crops can continue to attract new investors
- IOA analysts have found that business-friendly policies have eased processes for new investors
- Côte d’Ivoire’s economy leads Sub-Saharan Africa in sustained economic growth thanks to enlightened government policies
Key concerns/risks in Côte d’Ivoire:
- Because much of export revenue comes from raw commodities, income is vulnerable to changing global commodity prices
- Use of child labour is a perennial human rights abuse scandal and has not been rectified
- Remote and much of rural areas of the country have been excluded from national economic growth
A sample IOA research report on Côte d’Ivoire: